This new 4-H Ag Innovators Experience, Curbing Our Carbon Appetite, is brought to you by National 4-H Council, University of Maryland Extension 4-H, and Bayer. Curbing our Carbon Appetite will help youth ages 10-18 learn the importance of taking actions that can reduce the atmospheric carbon.
The objectives of this activity kit include:
- Trace the flow of carbon through the carbon cycle and relate human activity to increased atmospheric carbon.
- Model the effects of changing atmospheric carbon levels on temperature
- Analyze the carbon footprints of foods and plan a low-carbon lunch
- Explore actions that agriculture, business and industry, and individuals and families can take to reduce the atmospheric carbon.
Recommended event giveaway: NEOPRENE LUNCH BAG
Click here to review the Facilitator Storyboard.
What's In the Box?
Each kit includes:
- Teen facilitator guide
- 12 Student guides
- Large earth diagram poster
- 3 Food placemats
- 1 set of food cards
- 1 set of carbon action cards
Additional supplies needed:
- 4 clear plastic bowls
- 5/32" drill bit
- 1 multi-zone thermometer with probes
- 1 clamp reflector lamp
- 1 shatter resistant/rough service 100-watt incandescent bulb
- 3 sandwich zipper bags
- Tokens (coins, bingo chips, pennies, etc.)
- Dice and items that can be used as game pieces (coins, bingo chips, etc..)