With the STEM Simple Machines Activity Kit, build 60 working models that cover the subjects of levers, the wedge, the wheel and axle, the screw, the inclined plane, the pulley, as well as the more advanced gears and linkages! These mechanisms offer a mechanical advantage and are crucial elements of many machines and devices. They are designed to multiply or reduce force, increase or decrease speed and convert one type of motion to another. You can find easy-to-follow building instructions for all models either online or in the booklets included. The booklets provide detailed explanations of the different scientific principles applied and incorporate innovative experimental activities for hands-on learning. Quiz sections for each chapter are also available to challenge your newly acquired knowledge!
Conduct thorough experiments and discover:
- The three classes of levers and the use of linkages;
- How to gain mechanical advantage from the wheel, axles, and inclined planes mechanisms;
- How to use pulleys to change force and direction of motion;
- How to use cams and cranks to produce different types of motion;
- How to calculate gear ratio and how worm drives work.
Some suggested 4-H Curriculum that pair well with the STEM Simple Machines Activity Kit are: